How We Can Help
Carer Assist is a service of the Schizophrenia Fellowship of NSW. Carer Assist provides individual advocacy, support, education and training programs to families and carers supporting a person with a mental illness. Carer Assist is part of the NSW Family and Carer Mental Health Program and is funded by the NSW Department of Health, through the Mental Health Drug and Alcohol Office.
Carer Assist can help families and friends by:
- Providing information and support when their relative or friend is diagnosed with a mental illness.
- Providing information and education on living with someone with a mental illness.
- Providing assistance to build a network of support services.
- Providing or sourcing extra support in times of crisis.
- Assisting with the navigation of the mental health system.
- Assisting with advocacy, when the needs of the person they are caring for are not met, or are not being appropriately met.
Carer Assist supports carers of people with all types of mental illnesses. All services are offered on an individual basis, in a sensitive and confidential manner. The Family and Carer Mental Health Program enhances and complements existing health services provided by other health professionals.