New Moves is a healthy lifestyle evidence based program that provides fun, physical activity, healthy meals and peer support for people living with a mental illness.
The program runs for 2 hours each week for 16 weeks.
New Moves will be running in the following regions in 2016:
- Western Sydney (Frangipani House)
- Northern Sydney (Hercules House)
- Sydney Inner West (Burwood) This is a men’s program only.
Please download and complete the referral form (PDF 49.2KB) to refer a client to the program. Send the referral form to Philippa Boss via email email@example.com
For more information about the New Moves program
please contact Philippa Boss on
0402 957 138
To download the New Moves flyer - click here (PDF 77.8KB)
JOIN IN ... GET FIT!
New Moves offers fun physical activities and healthy eating in a supportive group environment.
Do you have a mental illness?
Are you aged 18-65 years?
Would you like to improve your fitness and physical health?
Then join New Moves.
- New Moves is a healthy lifestyle program, designed to improve your physical and mental well-being, through education, physical activity and healthy eating.
- Social and peer support is provided in the group environment.
- The team leader supports and motivates you to develop and achieve your personal goals.
- Visits to community gyms and local cafes and shopping centres, helps you to integrate what you have learned into community life.
New Moves runs for 16 weeks.
New Moves in Diabetes Prevention & Management Healthy
Lifestyle Program - starting Nov 22 at Frangipani House
Click here (PDF 488.3KB) to download the brochure
For further information...
Phone Philippa Boss on (02) 9879 2600
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no cost to join the program.
To download the New Moves referral form - click here (PDF 49.2KB)
Targeting physical and mental well-being in people with mental illness
Health Issues Journal - Issue 108 (Summer 2012)
Article: by SFNSW's own Katherine Gill
The New Moves program, developed by The Schizophrenia Fellowship of NSW, specifically targets the physical health and recovery needs of people with a mental illness. New Moves engages participants in exercise activities that target cardiovascular fitness and strength training. Activities are performed in a group environment with peer support, which encourages social interaction and interpersonal skill development. By participating in the preparation of healthy meals and a variety of educational discussion topics, participants learn skills to manage their physical health and long term recovery better. Program evaluation has found significant benefits to physical health, social well-being and quality of life.
To read the full article